Friday, October 19, 2012

20,000 Remakes?

Guess what I just heard? Disney just announced their plans for another remake of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I say another because there have already been several movie versions, most notably the 1954 version starring Kirk Douglas as Ned Land. This was the first science fiction film produced by Walt Disney Productions, and the ONLY science fiction film ever produced by Walt Disney himself. It won 2 Academy Awards and is considered "the mightiest motion picture of them all!", as clearly stated on the advertising poster.


 I grew up watching this version and loved it with a deep, oceanly love before I was ever old enough to read any of the great author's books for myself. Now, as an adult, I claim Jules Verne as my FAVORITE AUTHOR! Yes, I've said it...I've told you one of my most personal secrets, a librarian's one true treasure. FAVORITE AUTHOR...It's a big decision. But, I feel no shame to claim one of the greatest and most prophetic writers of science fiction that ever lived as my choice.

Jules Verne was born in 1828 and died in 1905. During his life, he wrote novels exploring the world of the future. Or rather, exploring his Victorian world with technology and knowledge from the future. Verne wrote in great detail about space, air and underwater travel before submarines were invented, while airplanes were just a dream in the Wright Brothers heads, and while the Moon was as unattainable as ...the Moon.

I could go on and on about the awesomeness of his books, but you should read them for yourself. My personal favorite is Journey to the Center of the Earth, with The Mysterious Island coming in for a close second. Oh wait, what about Around the World in Eighty Days? I can't choose!!!

But I digress...as to another remake, I'm willing to give it a watch. I just hope they don't turn it into a "Kids" movie. With all the special effects nowadays, they could turn this into something awesome. Rumor has it that they're after Brad Pitt for Ned Land....who would your choice be?


2 comments:

  1. Everyone is after Brad Pitt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I'm feeling James McAvoy (young Professor X in X-Men: First Class, Atonement, Last King of Scotland, etc)

    ReplyDelete