Friday, November 30, 2012

All These Things I... Haven't Done?

Maybe you noticed that I added a nifty new feature to this blog. I created a little gadget right under the title called "What I'm reading right now...". Here you will find an up-to-date account of what I personally am reading at the time. I love YA literature, and read a lot of it (and not just because I have to for my job!). In my book basket at home, I usually have a stack of YA books, a couple of Juvenile books, and maybe 1 adult book. So if you want to be cool like me, then you can read what I read.

A little while ago, I posted that I was reading All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin. I've since finished it, and it was really...different. In a really good and exciting way. It's set in a dystopian future world (again?), where resources are hard to come by (sounds familiar), crime has become rampant (no kidding), and the main character is falling in love with someone completely unsuitable (I've heard this one before!). If you're thinking what I was thinking in all those parentheses, stop! While these all sound like pretty tired plot points, Zevin takes them, adds sugar, hot sauce, and a little bit of pickle juice weirdness and produces an amazingly fresh and interesting cake, I mean story. Anya is: the 16 year old daughter of a well-loved but unfortunately deceased mafia boss, the sister and protector of her simple older brother and naive younger sister, and the last thing holding her dying grandmother to this world. On top of that, she's got to deal with school, a caffeine addict ex-boyfriend, a crazily handsome DA's son (as in District Attorney, as in enemy of the "family"), and a skivvy cousin who's trying to take over the crime syndicate. Oh, and did I mention that chocolate is now illegal? How's a girl supposed to cope with all that without some chocolate?



A really refreshing foray into the future, there will be (or maybe already is) a sequel. Can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment